Monday, March 2, 2009

Another sport bites the dust

So I was strangely excited that Sterling's first Tennis match was supposed to be today. I emailed the coach to find out where they play since could be either the college or highschool..no reply. Before heading to the weekly newspaper meeting I noticed that there were no people gathered around the Tennis courts so I decided to pop into the coach's office to see if the games were cancelled. I didn't know if Tennis is one of those "fair" weather sports and it is still pretty chillly today. (After all they cancelled Baseball & Softball already due to weather - thank goodness because it was too cold to stand out there with the camera.) After a brief conversation I discovered that the Tennis season had been scrapped, for reasons unknown to me still.
Strangely this is second sport that has mysteriously disappeared since I've been here at Sterling. Womens golf vanished without a word from anyone, not even a courtesy email to the students. I just happened to be perusing the web site one day to see that it had been removed.
This College has an interesting habit of causing things and people to go away.

No comments: