Friday, October 5, 2007

My Turn!

Yesterday I got the privilege of starting in my very first college soccer game! (Playing Goalkeeper for those of you that didn't know.) I wasn't so much nervous about people taking shots at me as I was about distributing the ball back out afterwards. Strange Indeed! Why is this? 1.) We had a constant 20mph wind gusts, so if I punted the ball it would just go on forever. 2.) Our team has trouble winning loose balls. So it was imperative that I get the ball as close to someone's feet as possible, or else, it would come right back to me.
The goal.. =(
I did have one goal scored on me. The defense erroneously sent a ball across the middle of the box, where only the other team was waiting. They placed a perfect shot to the back post out of my reach. The wind made it pretty difficult. It was hard to tell if the ball would make it into the box or not. There were several times I started to come out but it never made it far enough.

I only got to play the first half but I'm not going to complain at all. I'd be happy if I just to play for 5 minutes each game! It was a great relief to finally get to go out there and have some fun. Hopefully I will get another opportunity before the season ends.
(We ended up losing this game 3-0)

Below is a photo from a game a couple of weeks ago. This is "E." She has one of the hardest kicks on the team, and she is winding up to give the goalie a bit of a wake up call!!

No comments: